Step Parent Adoption Legal Fees and Costs
Randy strives for affordable and transparent legal fees and costs. If your step parent adoption is uncontested - as most are - meaning the absent parent can be found and is willing to sign a consent, your retainer guarantees a flat fee of $1,500. This would only change if the the absent parent's consent can't be obtained or there is a rare legal complication, which normally can be identified before you start. (To learn about fees when adopting an adult, please click here.)
A sad reality is that many attorneys quote you a low price for a step parent adoption, then end up charging you much more by the time you have completed your finalization hearing, saying "It took longer than expected." To see how easy and likely that is to happen, consider that most SoCal family law attorneys charge about $300 an hour. Imagine how quickly that will add up when counting all his or her time spent with you or on your behalf:
- Researching the proper procedures
- Preparing your legal documents (on average 8-10 pleadings/attachments)
- Writing needed correspondence
- Working with the agency caseworker in their investigation
- Communicating with the absent parent to sign his/her Consent to Adoption (an additional form prepared by the attorney)
- Calls/letters/emails with you as needed during the investigation
- Reading the agency's final court report
- Setting the final hearing
- Travel time to court for your final hearing
- Time at court for your final hearing (be aware 5-12 cases are usually set for the same time, so you might be waiting a long time in the hallway before your hearing begins)
- Travel time back to their office after your final hearing
- Prepare the form for the amended birth certificate.
Ask yourself if you really think the attorney will end up only billing you for five hours (5 X $300 = $1,500) to end up with a lower fee. Often it will be double, even with no complications. Randy's flat fee of $1,500 also includes what lawyers call "out of pocket" or "actual" costs, like notary, postage, mileage to court, et cetera. Randy includes these expenses in his flat fee for uncontested adoptions. In Los Angeles County the filing fee is not included in his fee, as he does in other SoCal counties. The reason for this is all other counties in SoCal have a stepparent adoption petition filing fee of $20. Los Angeles County Superior Court, however, charges $160. Because Randy's fee is already quite low, he can't include that as part of his flat fee when filing in Los Angeles County. A fee you pay directly is your stepparent investigation fee ($700). The fee is the same whether you elect to have your investigation done by a licensed private adoption agency (recommended) or the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services. So here are your simple and fully transparent total costs:
- Randy's flat legal fee: $1,500
- L.A. County Superior Court filing fee: $160
- Stepparent investigation: $700
- Fingerprinting for the adopting stepparent: $64
If the absent parent won't consent, an action to terminate his/her rights will be required. The rights of absent birth fathers is complicated, but if the birth father is in the "alleged" category, and he can't be found or is found but does not object, Randy has a flat fee of $1,450 for such uncontested actions. When the birth father is "presumed" (named on the birth certificate, previously married to the mother, had the child in his home and held the child out his natural child, or had a paternity determination by a court), then a termination of parental rights action is more complicated and Randy charges hourly. When you have your consultation with him and he learns the facts of your case he can give you an estimate of costs.
10% Military Discount
Randy has great respect and appreciation for the men and women serving in the Armed Services. If the step parent (or their spouse) is active military, Randy discounts his flat fee by 10%, thus $1,350 rather than $1,500. This is a small way to say thanks for your selfless service.
For your convenience, Randy accepts payment by check, credit card and PayPal.